AKVAN
Forgotten Glory
(Shaytan Productions)
58:36min

Of all the parts in the world, this is the first time I have ever encountered a band from Iran. I can realize that it will be a death penalty to perform this type of music in those places, but it seems that there are quite more than just a bunch of bands there. This is the debut album and the band, most likely I think a one man band, has been releasing music since 2008. To add the term “Folk” here is quite right, as the music has without doubt a lot of influences of Arabic music, there are quite a few instrumental interludes in there consisting of Folk music of those places that are mixed with a more traditional lo-fi Black Metal in the early BURZUM and Black Metal era DARKTHRONE, yet more melodic and with a less grim sound of those aforementioned acts. Although the way they do perform and use the traditional musical elements from those lands is interesting, I also must admit that their Black Metal part comes out as nothing new. I also suspect that a drum machine is used thus making the sound of it more mechanical, and thus lifeless. And the guitar sound is not exactly that present, it is quite more atmospheric. The vocals are your standard Black Metal sound, not bad not good, they just do the work. The band does sound a lot better in slower parts and sections where I can sense some old SAMAEL influence, as when they do play faster, they lose some power in their music for the way they used their instruments. If the band decides to use a heavier approach, and is able to get a better production, I am sure their next work will surely be more interesting. Although that issue might not be so easy to overcome, Metalheads are known to break barriers for the passion of Metal. For those into evil Black Metal with fascinating art and history, and with a quite unique sound that makes honor to their homeland, this is for sure more than worth a listen. www.facebook.com/akvanblackmetal, www.shaytanproductions.com

Julián “Fire And Steel” Núñez

Julián “Fire And Steel” Núñez

Leave a Reply