THE CHOSEN
For The Glory Of The Empire
(Blazing Productions)
34:52min

After a promo CD in 2002 Dutch THE CHOSEN signed a deal with Blazing Productions and come up with a really great debut CD blending musical influences from bands like HELLHAMMER, CAULDRON BLACK RAM with some fierce Death Metal parts and vocals that positively remind me of ex-ORDER FROM CHAOS / ex-ANGEL CORPSE frontbeast Pete Helmkamp. Since the latter is one of my absolute favourite vocalists THE CHOSEN’s Rudolf rules too, and in addition to a great performance as a singer he also managed to write some really interesting lyrics as well. THE CHOSEN follow lyrically and visually a concept of pagan warriors, misanthropy and the glorification of death, war and all the other good things in life (ahem…!). Musically their heavy mix of straight and aggressive uptempo parts, mighty slower sections, thrashing speed and intriguing hooks could fully convince me and even the production is unpolished yet pretty heavy and fits THE CHOSEN’s individual definition of deadly Black / Thrash. Of course the four-piece does not consist of the world’s greatest musicians, but THE CHOSEN are excellent songwriters who come up with a tight, consistent, surprising and memorable album that shows how capturing straight extreme music can be and that “straightness” does not always have to result in a standard case of HELLHAMMER worshipping. Great band, support it now! Visit www.the-chosen.nl for additional info, MP3, lyrics etc and www.blazing.ws for the label.

Stefan Franke

Stefan Franke

Related reviews / interviews:
THE CHOSEN - Wolfcross (Stefan Franke)

Leave a Reply