CONTUMACY
Fall Of The Structure
(Putrescense Records)
11:32min

Formed back in 1989 and with just one release, their 1990 rehearsal demo "Fall Of The Structure", Peruvian Death Metal band CONTUMACY remains as another band rather unknown to the majority of the Death Metal fans even during this time. Talking about me, I haven’t heard anything from them before listening to those tracks on this 7" EP a few weeks ago. According to the label-info the band was kinda active touring Lima-Peru and were in touch with bands from Brazil and Finland. This recycling of old demos is very common these years and there are some very interesting outputs on the market today. The question is always: Can an old demo withstand the test of time? Can "Fall Of The Structure" withstand the test of time? From my point of view I have to say: No. You clearly hear that this is a demo recording done with minimal technical possibilities, starting from the soundquality of the recording and ending with the musical abilities of the bandmembers. This together probably makes the difference, nevertheless I can say, now that you know what to expect it’s clear that one who wants to buy releases in today’s hifi-quality should stop reading at this point, fans who are interested in a certain historical view on the early-nineties Death Metal scene should try to get this piece of plastic between their fingers. Surrounded by a mystical sounding in- and outro CONTUMACY’s 7" EP features 3 songs (‘Bloody Revolution’, ‘The Fall Of The Structure’ and ‘The Dark One’) in a playing time between 11 and 12 minutes. The 3 songs can be described as a mixture of old Finnish Death Metal (ABHORRENCE among others) and the South American chaotism you hear on so many releases from there. Well, the soundquality, as already mentioned above, is not of highest quality which is not that strange as we are talking about a rehearsal recording here and the musical skills of the bandmembers isn’t that high either, but that was the case for many bands who released their first demos in those years. CONTUMACY’s "Fall Of The Structure" 7" EP is a release worth to check out for Death Metal fans of the early days. I had and still have a great time listening to those tunes of Death Metal and wonder what could have happened to CONTUMACY if they hadn’t disbanded in 1992. This is Putrescence Records 2nd release and ordering details can be seen at www.myspace.com/putrescenserecords. This 7" EP might also be available in several mailordershops around the world. I’m looking forward to the next release from Putrescence Records – a label who specialized themselves in vinyls and demos only, from ancient bands from the South American underground. They ask to pay respect to those bands and I can say to all those old school Death Metal lunatics: pay respect and buy this 7" EP.

Thomas Ehrmann

Thomas Ehrmann

Leave a Reply