CREST OF DARKNESS
Project Regeneration
(Listenable Records)
38:07min

Oh, I was seriously wrong with thinking that CREST OF DARKNESS would be yet another DIMMU BORGIR style Black Metal outfit from Norway. In fact, this is the very first time that I consciously get to hear their material and “Project Regeneration” (the band’s second album, I suppose?!) is getting me positively surprised. CREST OF DARKNESS actually come up with a pretty intense and merciless mixture of superheavy (almost thrashin’) Death Metal riffs and Black Metal orchestration, loads of blast beats, always surprising keyboard sounds and some weird incorporation of relaxed and atmospheric passages with female vocals (‘A Place With No Memories’). The original element of CREST OF DARKNESS would for one be the pretty “futuristic” samples that make the songs sound pretty electronic (‘Electronic Art (Computerized Pt. 2)’ and freaky (NOCTURNUS feel here and there) and then again also the often almost whispered vocals of Ingar. I’m not really sure if I’m getting a 100% into the band and the production could also be loads more powerful but I must definitely point out that this is a pretty original bunch that deserves your attention in case you are into extreme and modern-sounding black metal brutality. Different one…

Leif Jensen

Leif Jensen

Related reviews / interviews:
CREST OF DARKNESS - Welcome The Dead (Julián “The Almighty” Núñez)

Leave a Reply