CRUCIFYRE
Thessalonian Death Cult
(self-financed)
15:09min

Ok, the sound could be better here, but that’s actually the only negative thing I can find on this 3 track demo CD of newcomers CRUCIFYRE. Did I write "newcomers"? Can you dare to call a band gathering former musicians of AFFLICTED, CREMATORY, CONCRETE SLEEP and mighty MORBID newcomers? I would say no. Anyway, formed in Winter 2006 CRUCIFYRE released a couple of months ago this demo CD featuring 3 songs of Death / Thrashing madness in the vein of older SLAYER (the title song ‘Thessalonian Death Cult’ has serious "South Of Heaven" vibes if you ask me), POSSESSED ("Beyond The Gates" – era) and carrying the old charm of the first NIHILIST and MORBID demos to this modern times. Damn, I’m kinda impressed; I didn’t expect something like this at all. For sure, the names of the former bands could make it easy for me to glorify this demo just because it could be cool (or whatever) to praise a demo like this due to its old school flair, but that’s not the case. I really took a long time writing this review as I wanted to have many in-depth listenings to perfectly know what I think about this demo. And now after many weeks, Yasse (drums) who sent me the demo might kill me because of taking such a long time, I can tell you that this is a demo underground maniacs will adore! As I said, the only thing which could be better is the sound, but to be perfectly honest, "Premature Autopsy" could have a better sound, too – haha! Well, while writing this CRUCIFYRE might have already recorded a couple of new songs and remixed ‘The Fetching’ (opening track of the demo) and the title track, though don’t know when these recordings will be officially released. Besides that they will be featured with one song on the soon to be released compilation LP "Resurrected In Festering Slime" (see news entry on these pages) featuring such names as BOMBS OF HADES, FACEBREAKER, EVISCERATED, DARKCREED, RAPE PILLAGE AND BURN among others – a true underground jewel! Great things to look out for! The demo sells for 4 € (CD-R with photocopied cover) from crucifyre@hotmail.com, or get in touch with them via their myspace-account at www.myspace.com/crucifyre.

Thomas Ehrmann

Thomas Ehrmann

Related reviews / interviews:
CRUCIFYRE - Post Vulcanic Black (Randolph Whateley)
CRUCIFYRE - Black Magic Fire (Alfonso Perez)
CRUCIFYRE - Infernal Earthly Divine (Thomas Ehrmann)

Leave a Reply