CROSSFIRE
See You In Hell / Second Attack
(Mausoleum Records)
37:29min / 38:11min

Well crossfire from Belgium was always a band I could take or leave when putting their records on. They had some very good songs and then some ‘throw away’ unmemorable tracks as well. The vocals were very reminiscent of Marc Storace of krokus fame and the music just your ‘typical’ 80s fare, with sadly no stand-out players in any category! This, theirr debut record "See You In Hell" is not very spectacular, kinda as ‘average’ as the LP title itself! A few songs, ‘Killing A Cop’ and the more lengthy and catchy ‘Fly Away’ are probaly the best tracks. Though honestly this record is a bit too one-dimensional across the board for its own good! ‘Starchild’ has a great interesting opening riff but then like so many crossfire tunes just falls into the ‘crossfire curse’ of losing power and just kinda ‘pacing’ through a ‘Heavy Metal’ song! ‘See You In Hell’ is at least more up-tempo and closes on a better note! But in all honesty this record isn’t THAT good! By farrrrrrrrrr a better record than "See You In Hell" right from the get go is "Second Attack"! Seems a raging fire was lit under their asses and that worked real well in increasing tenfold the ‘energy’ level! Almost becoming a speed band exclusively! Opening with the up-tempo title track and then plumaging through seven more Metal rockers with much more depth and truly thriving ‘conviction’. I’d much more recommend this record to anyone into checking out the ‘fire! My fave tracks being ‘Feeling Down’ (great chorus and awesome solo section!) and you can’t deny the amazing moments in ‘Atomic War’! Hell, as I listen to this record I realize even more now just how powerful crossfire was later on in their career! Speed on top of speed is always good when it’s got good riffs backing it up! And this record surely does! Hell let me now say on this record they got it ‘right’, and in the end this is a great, great, great record and maybe their best and ‘finest hour’!

King Fowley

King Fowley

Related reviews / interviews:
CROSSFIRE - Sharpshooter / Live Attack (King Fowley)

Leave a Reply