CRYPTBORN
In The Grasp Of The Starving Dead
(Detest Records)
27:55min

Well, Finnish Death Metal has something really special, ‘though you definitely can’t say that there is a typical Finnish sound like there is a typical Swedish sound. Finnish Death Metal bands are just dark and brutal and almost all of them are brilliant. I’m talking about legends such as DEMILICH, DEMIGOD, mid 90s heroes such as ADRAMALECH or the impressive new wave of young bands such as ASCENDED, MAVETH, STENCH OF DECAY, GOREPHILIA, CORPSESSED and the almighty KRYPTS. All those bands really know how to play Death Metal with the right atmosphere and attitude. All the aforementioned bands understand what the essence of Death Metal is. One band which fits perfectly in that list is CRYPTBORN and they just released their first demo via Detest Records (CD version will follow via Dark Descend Records). I don’t know much about this band but I know that Mr. Christbutcher (from MAVETH and formerly from DETHRONED and EXCOMMUNION) is doing the vocals. And he did an awesome job, his vocal performance on "In The Grasp Of The Starving Dead" is brilliant. He sounds like a rotten, corpse feasting ghoul, so utterly evil and brutal. When I first listened to "In The Grasp Of The Starving Dead" I was totally blown by the guitar sound. Wow, what a blast, that’s how a guitar has to sound. But it’s not just the guitar sound; the entire production is so fucking powerful. I would describe this as a mix of early Swedish (the guitar sound) and early Finnish (the morbidity) Death Metal. This demo contains six putrid hymns plus an instrumental intro and all of them are extremely brutal but spreading darkness and damnation at the same time. My personal fave song is ‘A Nebulous Parting’ which is nothing but a fiendish anthem, a masterpiece of epic Death Metal supremacy. So let’s sum it up, CRYPTBORN is a significant new player in a long tradition of Finnish Death Metal bands and you should get your fingers on this demo as soon as possible. Hail Suomi!!! Hail the Metal of Death!!! Hail CRYPTBORN!!! www.myspace.com/cryptborn, www.detestrecords.com

Hacker

Hacker

Leave a Reply