CHRIST AGONY
NocturN
(Mystic Production)
45:40min

It’s good to see this old band still active. "Band" is obviously not the correct word, as the only original member is Cezar and the other members seem to be more freelancers. Nevertheless I’m happy to have them back, as CHRIST AGONY were one of the most promising bands from Poland during my tape trading days. At those days you had the MORBID ANGEL-inspired bands (VADER, CONVENT,…), the Scandinavian Black Metal inspired bands (BEHEMOTH (fact!!), GRAVELAND,…) and those SAMAEL-inspired bands. And to the last group I count CHRIST AGONY. For sure you can mention bands as HELLHAMMER, CELTIC FROST to the list of their inspiration, too, but I think old SAMAEL fit it the most. And even now with their new album "Nocturn" I hear a huge SAMAEL-influence. Old SAMAEL for sure, from their "Blood Ritual" and "Ceremony Of Opposites" albums. This together with an up-to-date production gives us a hint of what "Nocturn" may sound like. No copycat here, but highest quality dark Death Metal with some really over the top songs (e. g. ‘The Stigma Of Hell’, ‘Silent Gods Of Darkness’ or ‘Frozen Path Of Unholy Fire’) put together with a production which is really fantastic. Honestly spoken, I’m more than pleasantly surprised by this product. It’s professional through and through and this mix of old SAMAEL put in the current times makes them really attractive to me – that’s the reason why you can find "Nocturn" in my top10-list of 2011. I want to use the opportunity to compare CHRIST AGONY because of several song structures, the way of riffing on some songs here and the vocals of Cezar to German DISBELIEF – probably one of the most underrated bands I can think of. Too less admire their uniqueness and it feels good that a band as CHRIST AGONY goes in a comparable direction – perhaps without even knowing it. Both are bands to check out and CHRIST AGONY’s "Nocturn", as main topic in this review, is worth your money and offers highest professionalism and highest quality. Check it out.

Thomas Ehrmann

Thomas Ehrmann

Leave a Reply