CONVULSE
Inner Evil
(Svart Records)
12:00min

I was rather skeptical when I heard about the CONVULSE reunion and did not expect very much. I really liked the great demo from 1990 and the classic debut album from 1991 (re-released on CD in 2010). Both releases contained rather fine sounding Scandinavian Death Metal. But 1994, on their second full-length, CONVULSE played some weird and boring Hippie Death’n’Roll crap and fortunately split up before they could release more of that stuff. So their first sign of life since 1994 is this 2-track EP. First to mention: they went back to their roots. No more strange Hippie stuff and this is a good decision in my humble opinion. Both new songs could have been also on their debut album, maybe they have a more doomy touch than in their early days which doesn’t sound that bad. Both songs are solid examples of how Finnish old school Death Metal should be played. The production is good, only the drums sound a little bit too much like a drum machine for my personal taste. To sum it up, CONVULSE are back with two cool new songs but I think they have to line up behind their younger country mates such as KRYPTS, SWALLOWED or STENCH OF DECAY which rule the Finnish scene nowadays. Nonetheless this is a recommendable piece of Death Metal you should add to your collection. www.facebook.com/convulse, www.svartrecords.com

Hacker

Hacker

Related reviews / interviews:
CONVULSE - Cycle Of Revenge (Carsten Lomme)
CONVULSE - Evil Prevails (Stefan Franke)
CONVULSE - World Without God (Mindaugas "Plix" Lapinskas)
CONVULSE - Interview (Steven Willems)

Leave a Reply