CADAVERIC FUMES
Macabre Exaltation
(Blood Harvest Records)
20:28min

Variety is the spice of life, so it’s all the better if you can regularly rotate the menu. However, the old standby, good ol’ cheeseburger and fries, is always there when you need it. There’s nothing extraordinary about a burger and fries, but more likely than not, it’ll satisfy your craving. That’s how I feel about bands like CADAVERIC FUMES. These guys are not re-inventing the genre, only playing a hearty and filling form of marauding Death Metal. Because of the name, I initially expected a band in the vein of CARCASS or some Gore Grind stuff, but instead we get mostly mid-paced riffing with an absolutely delicious, crunching guitar sound. Very Sunlight Studio, but a bit more raw n’ rusty (i.e. not so damn processed like new ENTRAILS) . Adding to the sound picture is just the right amount of reverb, and you have a platter of savory Finnish-flavored Death Metal. CADAVERIC FUMES had me recalling the deviant winding undulations of DEMILICH, only with scuzzy, mid-range growls instead of subsonic belches. I especially dug ‘Vault Of The Haunted Mist’ – the sick ‘funeral organ’ part is quite morbid / unhinged -sounding. Granted, my preference is for songs to not have so many riffs in them, but regardless, CADAVERIC FUMES has a very strong start. Nice find by Blood Harvest Records! www.facebook.com/pages/cadaveric-fumes/386247771463077, www.bloodharvest.se

Dick Osmond

Dick Osmond

Leave a Reply