CRAWL
I: Serpents
(Bloodsoaked Records)
10:24min

Once upon a time, there was a band from Sweden that was named CRAWL. They had a demo tape in 1992, called “After Grace” and might still ring a bell in one or two rotten brains of those who remember any band. Yeah, there was… Today, we again have a band called CRAWL from Sweden. Yet, I’m talking about a completely different band. This is pretty much the same band than those youngsters from TORMENTION, who had a nice album, “Hunger For Flesh”, on Godeater. I can’t really say whether CRAWL is a side project or has an equal meaning for the band members. But I can only hope that CRAWL is more than just a mere side project. Their first offering, a tape EP release called “I: Serpents”, is a raw ambush attack in between brutal Death Metal and midpaced to upspeed Crust. And this mix, that is a little more on the Crust side of life, really appeals to my neck muscles. The intro piece of the opener ‘Undead Rites’ has a somehow Industrial groove, before the song turns into a grooving monster that just leaves one question unanswered: should I bang my fuckin’ head or dance a one-man-pogo? Either decision works out damn well! But CRAWL haven’t shot all their bolts yet. The following ‘Casket Ride’ is a fast attack mixing Death Metal riffs with an irresistible D-Beat just to end up in a grooving and even a little spooky middle part. Definitely the most Death Metal moment on “I: Serpents”. And as if this just wasn’t enough, the last song ‘Damnation Through Fire’ is no less than a fuckin’ furious neckbreaker with breaks from hell. Holy shit, what a bastard of a song! And after not much more than ten minutes, the fun is over and it’s time to hit “repeat”. This is the only thing to criticize here, for I would have loved to hear more from CRAWL. So, I hope for a full-length or at least another EP soon. Until that day, we have to get along with these three neck killers. But hurry up, there will be only 100 copies of the tape! Go to www.facebook.com/crawlswe to hear or to www.facebook.com/bloodsoakedrecords to get your copy!

Thomas Meyer

Thomas Meyer

Leave a Reply