CATACUMBA
Kratos
(Fallen-Angels Productions)
38:06min

A little history, CATACUMBA is a band from Brazil that plays a type of nihilistic Black Metal in the old traditional South American way. I knew about CATACUMBA back in 2010 when my good friend also from Mexico (as I am) released this album through his label and sent me out a few copies to check them out. I knew they played Black Metal which is not my favorite genre (while I like lots of Black Metal bands). So I put this CD in my car while driving back home from the post office, I remember the sound coming out of the speakers was something different from what I expected. It’s clear that “Kratos” is a savage offering; however what stands up among the rest of the bands of the genre is the mix of melodic guitar passages and slow-mid phase links between riffs, sometimes even using crushing riffs in the early Death Metal vein with pinch harmonics. The guitar sound is not that distorted but just a bit more overdriven than regular low gain distortion, the drums sound very natural and tight which helps the sound a lot, and the best thing is that the voice is not over the top at every single moment like other bands, they actually let the songs ring and play. So basically if you are interested in buying a Black Metal album that might please the likes of Norwegian and South American Black Metal all at the same time, go for it now! You can check it out here: www.facebook.com/pages/catacumba-horde/286027594743619, http://back69.com.ne.kr

Mauricio “Rusty” Sanchez

Mauricio “Rusty” Sanchez

Related reviews / interviews:
CATACUMBA - Animus Mortis (Mauricio “Rusty” Sanchez)

Leave a Reply