CIEŃ
Ecce Homo
(Old Temple)
45:13min

Lately the VFTD contributors received an email titled “Poland strikes back”, announcing a bunch of bands from Germany’s eastern neighbor. And if you take a look on recent reviews you will discover a lot of fine Polish Black Metal releases. CIEŃ (the Polish word for shadow) are no exception, although the approach is aiming beyond the borders of traditional Black Metal. On this debut there are some Doom Metal influences, although I must admit those parts being the most mediocre ones on “Ecce Homo”. Maybe it is just that I do not like Doom Metal that much, but reviews are always subjective. The most interesting moments are arousing when the band decides to mix some traditional Heavy Metal with Black Metal. Sometimes just the shrieks are reminding of Black Metal. During some instrumental passages I completely forgot that I was listening to an Black Metal output until the next Scandinavian influenced parts, at some moments I would not even be surprised of Bruce Dickinson like vocals. The mid-section of titletrack would fit perfectly to any traditional Heavy Metal outfit and the galloping bass-line is just purely devoted to early NWOBHM, just to give you an example. Interestingly the band, which previously published a demo and an EP, is able to make the different influences sound pretty organic and homogenous. At no time you have the feeling the parts are standing on their own, it is a completely rounded piece of Black Metal with both Doom and Heavy Metal influences. Very interesting and very well-done. www.facebook.com/cienofficial, www.oldtemple.com

Mirco Szymyslik

Mirco Szymyslik

Related reviews / interviews:
CIEŃ - Time Of Anti-Humanity (Mirco Szymyslik)

Leave a Reply