CARDIAC NOOSE
Girl Named Misery
(Blood & Iron Records / Metal Soldiers Records)
53:10min

There’s something about a scantily clad woman holding a spiked flail that’s undeniably Metal. Lust, chains, spikes, leather: you know this is a record that’s at least worth checking out. At any rate, this isn’t your everyday young kid’s tribute to an old Metal band. This band contains members of LOST BREED, who had Scott "Wino" Weinrich on vocals at one time. Since then they relocated to Albany, New York where this band CARDIAC NOOSE makes its home. I like this album, it has catchy songs, great soloing, and great riffs! Not even halfway through the album and I’ve heard a bunch of badass, hard-rockin’ headbanger riffs that I’d like to hear again, like on ‘Dead In Your Lies’ and ‘Get Back Home’. I think that was the desired effect, for as they loudly proclaim on track 4, "I’m a rock and roller!" Of course being an old soul of an album, there’s a sappy moment or two. The sixth track and seventh track, ‘Lonely Man’ and ‘Thrill Of It All’ are the weakest cuts on the album for this reason. After such a rush like the first half of the record, why screw with it and weaken the experience? Things pick up again towards the end but the wait isn’t as short as it should be and overall it makes the album feel like it’s much too long even though it has great songs on it. However, my complaints aside (and really they’re quite small) I totally recommend listening to this. I’m glad that I did because there are some very cool and catchy songs on this record. CARDIAC NOOSE has two other records to check out as well: "Bled To The Bone" and "Get Back Home". I haven’t heard these two but since "Girl Named Misery" was good, I’ll go for the others. More info at:  www.cardiacnoose.com, www.bloodandironrecords.com, www.metalsoldiersrecords.com

Nathan Shapiro

Nathan Shapiro

Leave a Reply