CERECLOTH
This Temple Is A Grave
(Bloodsoaked Records)
12:29min

I remember reading about the old Death Metal act CERECLOTH from the UK in fanzines back in the day, but those guys are long gone and this homonymous band is recent and from Sweden. “This Temple Is A Grave” is their debut demo, released on tape in a mere 100 copies edition and featuring 3 tracks of very old school Death Metal firmly entrenched in their home country’s tradition. This absolutely sounds as if it had been retrieved from the depths of time, from the old Swedish scene back in the early nineties. The crushing vocals much remind me of Matti Kärki from his CARBONIZED and CARNAGE days, and indeed these references are quite adequate for you to know which ground you stand in with this band, although they are more mid-tempo than the aforementioned names, especially in the opening track. All the songs are very good (the final one opens with a riff very similar to the closing of SLAYER’s ‘Seasons In The Abyss’ song). The sound quality is impeccable, and there is no shortage of melody or great riffs… they do not aim to be a particularly technical band, but you hear how well they all play. Everything sounds really heavy and the drumming is so good it’s hard to imagine better for this style of music. I said it before and will say it again: at a time when originality in good Metal is almost impossible, I’ll be very glad to hear unoriginal bands as long as they have this level of quality. Also congratulations for debuting with a 3 track demo tape instead of a full-length CD. Old school even here. If you are into good old Swedish Death Metal this cannot be more highly recommended. Check out more at: www.facebook.com/cereclothsweden, www.facebook.com/bloodsoakedrecords, http://bloodsoakedrecords.bandcamp.com

Ricardo Campos

Ricardo Campos

Leave a Reply