DAPNOM
Actes Préalables
(Insidious Poisoning Records)
77:04min

Second release for this French label, which is oriented between Black Metal and the most dark, monotonous and drone-like Industrial. Dapnom is a french band which describes itself as Black Satanic Ritual Ambient, formed by only one member and which releases his first album in 2007 (after releasing some tapes, one on this same label, and another CD under Sonic Tyranny). Focusing on the band, this isn’t too much Metal related, but more between the darkest part of Cold Meat Industry’s catalogue (they make me think about Atrium Carceri for some oppressive atmospheres), the most monotonous SUNN o))) and maybe some passages can make you think about something like Elysian Blaze, although here there’s no trace of human vocals; in fact, this could almost be qualified as anti-music. Keyboard passages, repetitive samples and all kind of noises which put your nerves at the top. So, you can imagine, this is more similar to a horror movie soundtrack than to a normal album, with only four tracks, three of which are longer than twenty minutes. And I don’t think every Metal or Industrial fan will listen easily to this; this is pure atmospheric darkness, and scares for how macabre and sinister it sounds. And I don’t recommend to listen to this if you’re not in a good mood or in need of activity, but more for the contrary, to listen to it on the background or calmly to enter in the most agonical subworlds, musically speaking (especially in the second "song", which can produce really high levels of anxiety for the bizarre noises) for more than one hour, which is not short. And I insist this stuff is not easy to digest due to the lack of progression, as the tracks are really monolithic. I don’t recommend this album to everyone, this is totally oriented for those who have a good time listening to the bands I mentioned before or searching for some experimentation and who don’t need a thousand notes per second or high speed when we speak about musical extremism (or sonic, better said). By the way, you can find it on double LP with a bonus track, entitled ‘Qliphoth’. www.insidious-poisoning.com

Jeroni Sancho

Jeroni Sancho

Leave a Reply