DARK AGE
The Silent Republic
(Remedy Records)
45:23min

Hamburg’s melodic Death Metal maniacs are back once more. I have to admit that I came across this band only recently at the Headbangers Open Air where they did a great job among all those Classic Metal veterans. “The Silent Republic” offers a lot to IN FLAMES fans and the likes. It’s heavy, it’s melodic – but there is also a good amount of brutality: track No. 4, ‘Know Me Strong’ starts with quite a blast and then turns into an almost fragile tune with a sort of orgasmic refrain. The band definitely knows how to use dynamics! And after 3 studio albums you can’t call them IN FLAMES copycats any more. Sure, there is no doubt about DARK AGE’s roots, but the band definitely developed its very own sound. And they recorded one of the best AC/DC covers I ever heard, namely ‘Hells Bells’. Forget the lame ICED EARTH or the annoying SIX FEET UNDER covers of the hardest rocking band alive! Cool double bass on here. Yet, I’m hereby trying to stop bands from recording AC/DC songs as long as your name is not Young, Johnson, Williams or Rudd! Please! The songs sound easy but nobody ever captured the true R’n’R spirit like those five Aussies. Apart from that I can recommend this CD (out on vinyl as well, I think) from the bottom of my heart. www.dark-age.de

Ramon Claassen

Ramon Claassen

Leave a Reply