DARK FOREST
Dark Forest
(Northern Silence Productions / Eyes Like Snow)
49:32min

All releases from Eyes Like Snow – the Northern Silence sublabel for all kinds of Doom / NWOBHM stuff – are like a trip to my father’s Rock / Heavy Metal collection. The DARK FOREST debut is no exception to the rule and brings back the time when a cover has more been seen as a piece of art than mere album decoration. The DARK FOREST music is simply saying completely in line with the wellknown British cult acts and they sound – even if I risk to get hanged for treason – fresher than everything I heard from MAIDEN & co. since their “Fear Of The Dark” record in 1992 (blasphemy!!!! – Frank). But don’t expect a simple MAIDEN clone – the band recorded 10 good songs and ‘Pipes Of Pan’ for example is for sure inspired by the glorious times of Eddy and his companions – but the DARK FOREST universe has far less limits or borders. It’s raging from slight JUDAS PRIEST influences to a certain touch of Folk (sometimes it seems that I’m listening to an old SKYCLAD record) and especially when the band is showing their ‘capabilities on the electric guitar’ you can feel that they really love to play this kind of music. If you need ‘Chapel Of Ghouls’ as lullaby to fall asleep every night the DARK FOREST debut is definitely nothing for your dark soul, but everybody (including myself) who is enjoying a good Heavy Metal album from time to time (to listen to clear guitars and recognizable vocals) should give the band a chance – because their album is everything else than an average debut. www.myspace.com/darkforestrealm, www.northern-silence.de

Matthias Auch

Matthias Auch

Related reviews / interviews:
DARK FOREST - Ridge & Furrow (Randolph Whateley)
DARK FOREST - Oak, Ash & Thorn (Randolph Whateley)

Leave a Reply