DECAPITATED
The Negation
(Earache Records / Wicked World)
30:21min

What a dreadful punch in my face… well, I expected nothing less than high-quality, speed, technical Death Metal when I received this new output of Polish youngsters DECAPITATED. I knew that this release was bound to be state of the arts Death Metal… but this actually exceeds all expectations I dared to have in advance. It is hard to find out about things that are mediocre here. In fact, I am not keen on finding out about such things… but oh so often flaws just restrict the enjoyment of a release. Here, such flaws or blemishes are sought for in vain!!! “The Negation” starts off with a malignant kind of noise, some weird synthesizer-sphere. Then comes about an unprecedented blast (a first song called ‘The Fury’)! The guitars play a melange of high-speed staccato (MORBID ANGEL – like) patterns and melodious octave strokes (which remind you that it’s still a Polish outfit raging here). ‘Three Dimensional Defect’ (second track) offers some intricate rhythmic structures that remind me of the fabulous MESHUGGAH!!! The guitar solos are awesome as well… very melodious, tight as a virgin’s (well, let’s leave it like this…). Partly the soloing suggests certain role-models these greenhorns have exalted to the status of gods. That is, some passages remind me of acts such as DEATH, HATE ETERNAL, VADER, which could be worse. The musicianship of this record is remarkable, the sound is great, too… very natural and powerful. You can detect every component of the music. Even the bass guitar has its very own metier of frequency – what a delight. Frankly – one can sense the inspirational sources of this output as mentioned above… but that’s fine. Death Metal doesn’t have to be innovative. Nevertheless, DECAPITATED sound fresh which must have to do with the relatively young members forming this outfit. The ideas on this record sound great and interesting. These guys don’t blast too much, there’s still space for mid-paced passages, solos, contrived rhythms, dark chords (GORGUTS!!!), SLAYER-inspired Thrash madness concerning the guitars and generally other experimental impulses. The only element on this release that bugs me a bit is the monotonous voice of the vocalist who doesn’t modulate his voice whatsoever. But that’s ok considering the fact that otherwise this album sounds so mature and sonically perfect!!! Contact: www.decapitated.cjb.net.

F. Cthulhu E.

F. Cthulhu E.

Related reviews / interviews:
DECAPITATED - Organic Hallucinosis (Mario Cubero)
DECAPITATED - Anticult (Michael Kujawska)
DECAPITATED - Nihility (Edouard Vergriete)
DECAPITATED - The First Damned (Edouard Vergriete)
DECAPITATED - Winds Of Creation (Thomas Georg)

Leave a Reply