DECAPITATED R.P.
Hacked To Death
(Premonition O. F. Records)
40:00min

As you may have already deduced from the two letters following the band’s name, this isn’t the Polish band… this lot hails from the Republic of the Phillipines! Formed in May 1999 these Fillipinos released two demos ("Of Suffering And Death", "Tortured") and a three track MCD ("The Way Of Brutality") prior to the actual recording. On eight tracks you get a dose of well executed brutal heavy old school Death Metal with some melodic elements. I have to admit that their sound is a bit hard to pinpoint – I think they are definitely influenced by the early 90s, especially American bands. You can hear traces of early MONSTROSITY concerning the drum patterns which alternate between heavy double bass – ridden passages, some thrashing beats and perhaps KRISIUN – inspired long blastbeats (which sometimes sound a bit inconsistent and untight) as well as in the riffing, although the latter is more basic and raw. As I said, this may serve only as a rough orientation! Several cool guitar solos are included and additionally you also get to hear some short acoustic interludes that reminded me very much of those on the first BRUTALITY (welcome back, hehe!) output. I really like the vokills as they vary between deep growling (no burping / frognoise) and pressed midranged screaming in the vein of Killjoy… sick, so to say. Which would also be the right word for the lyrical content: titles like ‘Bone Chamber’, ‘Souls Of Death’ or ‘Killing Alone’ (the strongest track for me) should give you an idea. An aspect that should definitely improved is the production as the guitar sound is very thin. But if you still go for an old school vibe and are enthusiastic about bands from "exotic" regions you should definitely risk an ear! Ah, before I forget: in order not to get mixed up with the polish band they decided to change the name to FATAL DESASTER. Contact: DECAPITATED R. P., Ace R. Morandante, PH. 1, Blk, 17, Lot 6, Roseville, Subd. Lanang, 8000 Davao City, Philipines, email: fataldesaster@hotmail.com (perhaps the postal address has changed as well, so you better check this out at first). "Hacked To Death" is available from PREMONITION O. F. RECORDS directly, ask Michael via premonition_records@t-online.de. With his label he specializes in bands from Asia exclusively, so there is more to come – hopefully!

Ulrich Kreienbrink

Ulrich Kreienbrink

Leave a Reply