DECEASED
Behind The Mourner's Veil
(Relapse Records)
28:00min

I suppose (and really hope) that this is gonna be sold for the price of an EP as the playing time not necessarily offers you much value for your money. Apart from that, I have no complains at all. DECEASED have become stronger and stronger throughout their years of existence and play true fuckin’ Metal, straight from the heart, like almost no other band does anymore these days! This is no nice and safe HAMMERFALL bullshit, this is the real thing – heavy fuckin’ Thrash Metal in its purest and most honest form! It’s kinda weird, but the more the band leaves behind their Death Metal roots, the more they remind me on classic VENOM (especially King Fowley’s vocal delivery is extremely close to Cronos’!) with a bunch of incorporated classic MAIDEN / PRIEST elements. But that’s more than fine with me. This release features three brandnew DECEASED tunes, of which two are kinda unusual. ‘The Mausoleum’ comes up with a rather unusual sounding melody line (kinda like as if VENOM would be inspired by the current happenings in the Finnish Metal underground), while ‘Victims Of The Masterplan’ is an approx. ten minutes long track, separated in five chapters – but, believe it or not – it really works without getting boring or anything! The opener ‘It’s Alive!’ is typical DECEASED while ‘Zombie Attack’, ‘Reaganomics’, ‘New Age Of Total Warfare’ and ‘Deathrider’ are very well executed covers by TANKARD (check out how close King’s vocals come to Gerre’s on this one), D.R.I., WARFARE (cult!!!) and ANTHRAX. As a little bonus you’ll get a video for ‘Elly’s Dementia’, so I guess I already named more than enough reasons to finally give these guys your support, don’t you think?!

Frank Stöver

Frank Stöver

Related reviews / interviews:
DECEASED - Worship The Coffin (Julián Núñez)
DECEASED - Fearless Undead Machines (Anders Peter Jørgensen)
DECEASED - The Figure Of Uneasiness / Below The... (Thomas Meyer)
DECEASED - Interview (Steven Willems)

Leave a Reply