DECEIVER
Riding With The Reaper
(Iron Fist Productions)
36:55min

Being formed in 2004 by ex – MAZE OF TORMENT and ex – XENOFANES members and after releasing a self-titled MCD, Swedish Thrashers DECEIVER now unleash their debut CD. What can you expect from them? Well, they name (among others) bands like MOTÖRHEAD, METALLICA, JUDAS PRIEST and VENOM as influence and song titles like ‘Raise Your Horns’, ‘Slay The Rainbow’ or ‘Destroy ’em All’ should give you a hint about the music. I am not one of those guys who is discussing so called styles and arguing whether you can describe it as Thrash Metal with Heavy Metal influences or Heavy Metal with Thrash Metal parts or whatever. DECEIVER label their music as Thrashing Heavy Metal, and that definition fits. Based mainly mid-tempo with (as usual) some slow and some fast parts, the music got pretty much energy. It is more the music you hear when you want to bang your head and drink some beer with your friends. So no sophisticated song writing or high-end technical skills can be found on this output, but for me that is not necessary for such kind of music. There is only one thing about this album, which is not appropriate: the poor production. Of course one can declare this is for such a music not that an important point, but we do not live in the early ’80s, so for me the feeble production is really a big barrier to enjoy “Riding With The Reaper”. To sum it up: music good, production not. So everyone must decide on his / her own to buy this or not. Something funny: the drummers name is Magnus Flink. Do not know if it is his really name, because in german “flink” means, “fast, quick”. By the way, a very good name for a drummer! www.deceiver.tk

Mirco Szymyslik

Mirco Szymyslik

Related reviews / interviews:
DECEIVER - Deceiver (Rodrigo Jiménez)
DECEIVER - Thrashing Heavy Metal (Matthias Auch )

Leave a Reply