DEEDS OF FLESH
Mark Of The Legion
(Unique Leader Records)
41:41min

Gosh, what a brain crushing assault of American styled Death Metal. The Los Osos based trio is back with another act of brutality. “Mark Of The Legion” is already the fourth DEEDS OF FLESH full-length and in my humble opinion it ‘s their best so far. Compared to the many other “modern day” US Death Metal bands DEEDS OF FLESH has its very own style. It’s quite easy to recognize this band while listening to “Mark Of The Legion” for the first time but it’s a hard job to remember one of the new songs after only listening to it a few times. Holy shit, “Mark Of The Legion” definitely doesn’t contain any “easy listening” stuff. It’s really sick how many different parts our Californian friends put in a song. So it’s quite difficult to follow those complex song structures and as I mentioned before you have to listen more than once to “Mark Of The Legion” before you get into it. I’m wondering how they can remember those songs while playing live. I really enjoy this new album a lot because of its complexity and its immense aggressions. Yeah, DEEDS OF FLESH still delivers fast, furious and enormously brutal Death Metal so no one will be disappointed. The vocals (shared by Eric / guitars and Jacoby / bass) are awesome. Fucking deep and brutal growls with some high shrieks, perfect for that kind of music. The lyrics of this album will take you to a trip through the dark European history, there are stories about ancient battles, the inquisition, Vikings and stuff like that. Quiet unusual topics for an American, especially a Californian band. There is only one exception: the song ‘Spewing Profligacy’ contains linked quotes from serial killers such as Charles Manson, Peter Kürten, H.H. Holmes and others. Sick but interesting stuff. Another highly appreciated aspect of this album is that you won’t find any groove or mosh parts on it. So no trendy stuff here but remarkable and brutal Death Metal with a powerful production.

Hacker

Hacker

Related reviews / interviews:
DEEDS OF FLESH - Crown Of Souls (Stefan Franke)
DEEDS OF FLESH - Reduced To Ashes (F. Cthulhu E.)
DEEDS OF FLESH - Inbreeding The Anthropophagi (Hacker )

Leave a Reply