DEFILE
Demo CD 2001
(self-financed)
15:46min

If you ever thought of Poland’s DECAPITATED as the youngest bunch of brutal musicians around, you better think again, because the members of L.A.’s DEFILE are only fifteen (!!) years in average! But don’t worry – musically they already sound a lot more matured than many musicians of the older generation. I was actually quite impressed by the simplicity approach of the four featured songs on their debut demo CD… Instead of composing material with tons of breaks, keyboards, female vocals, folk influences or whatever else used to be hip already, these guys easily saved my day with sheer straight ahead thrashing Death Metal brutality! The vocals of front man Jamie are in the typical Death Metal style, but unlike many other vocalists he easily gets his brutality across without the use of stupid effects or by sounding unnatural deep and guttural. This is the type of heavy voice I really love when it comes to traditional Death Metal – very aggressive, and to a certain extend you can even hear what’s going on in the lyrics. The band only plays with one guitar and therefore has stripped down their songwriting to the core, probably in order to achieve the same crushing result on stage pretty easily. And it works out fine! This is nothing new or innovative, but very well executed material, performed with the right attitude and lots of hope for the future. All further info as well as MP3’s of all of the four songs you will find on their website www.defile.cc Check them out!

Frank Stöver

Frank Stöver

Leave a Reply