DEFILED
Ugliness Revealed
(Baphomet Records / Necropolis Records)
38:24min

Hailing from Japan is one thing, but being from there and playing complicated Death Metal is a different thing. This would be DEFILED’s debut stateside release under the Necropolis label’s sub-division Baphomet. 18 tracks in total, 8 tracks are really short intros which make it interesting when they crash into the music. 4 tracks at the end of the CD are taken from their “Erupted Wrath” release and have been remixed for this album. The entire album was recorded in Japan but was sent to Morrisound in Florida for the polishing and touching up. The end result is some of the heaviest guitar I have heard in a while. Bellowing vocals and a very audible bass guitar. Meanwhile, the drums put an aural assault on the senses. Right on the cover there is a sticker that says to paraphrase: “Fans of GORGUTS, DYING FETUS and CRYPTOPSY take note.” Yes they are right the apple does not fall far away from the tree. To me they sound closer to GORGUTS and older MORBID ANGEL with a little sprinkle of DEATH thrown in for good measure. Rarely does something come along and kick my ass especially within this genre, DEFILED have succeeded in doing that. The last one to kick my ass was the latest from CRYPTOPSY. If you only buy the album because of the heaving, massive production that alone is worth the cost. I know, I know, I am biased because I am a huge fan of brutal technical Death Metal but trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Dimitri Ganatsios

Dimitri Ganatsios

Leave a Reply