DESOLATEVOID / THE LAST VAN ZANT / THE PARISH
Split CD
(Crimes Against Humanity Records)
43:05min

How many years before I had a split CD in my hands…wow, long time ago. Split CDs were back in the day a useful and cheap way to be known in a worldwide basis in a digital format…good splits are quite rare anyway, as more than once there is a band that is better than the other, or some band just sounds to be included just for the sake of filling up space…now a three way split is a bit more like a compilation rather than a split if you ask me…but yeah, this has also an old school feeling anyway…I must mention that the bands contained within are all from the USA…DESOLATEVOID is the first band, which is more into a Groove / Thrash / Grind style, with shouted vocals more akin to Punkish bands, and a definitive Rock’n’Roll feeling à la MOTÖRHEAD…it is quite enjoyable, although at times the weird rhythm changes and the constant use of screamy vocals takes away some coherence in the music…some songs reminded me to Lee Dorrian era NAPALM DEATH with that rock feeling I was telling about…THE LAST VAN ZANT comes later, and although the style is similar, this one is more Thrash orientated, while still having that Rock feeling, they also shine with Hardcore influences, and at least in my case, sound more enjoyable than the previous band, specially due to a heavier guitar sound, but this also sounds dangerously close to some Metalcore…’Standing In Blood’ with a heavy MASTER-alike chords is a good song, but the chorus turns more to the Hardcore direction rather than some good old Thrash…their best song is the last one from their split ‘Born Of Death’ that at times invokes AT THE GATES sound, although in a doomier / stoner form…finally THE PARISH OF DOOM with just two songs of a heavier kind of Metal, almost stoner in essence, although there is a strong Doom / Death root in here, specially with the more deep gruff vocals…musically speaking there were more than a few things that reminded me to old Dutch Death / Doom Metal bands like CASTLE, BEYOND BELIEF and such, but still with a Rock’n’Roll touch to it…a fantastic and raw guitar sound makes this last band to be at least for me the best of the bunch…’Suffer’ has a heavy BLACK SABBATH influence on it, but done into their own style…so, as this is it, an interesting compilation, yet a bit away from the usual styles I am more into, but those looking for the heavier, darker side of Sludge / Stoner / Metal might as well give the bands a try. For more info check out www.cahrecords.com, www.myspace.com/desolatevoidrocks, www.myspace.com/thelastvanzant, www.myspace.com/theparishofdoom

Julián Núñez

Julián Núñez

Leave a Reply