DESPONDENCY
God On Acid
(Revenge Productions)
33:16min

To be honest, I was a little weary about reviewing DESPONDENCY’s first full length because after my initial fascination for the frog noise genre I became bored of it pretty soon. For my taste, the vocals just sound a little too abstract, not human. Could an opus of 30 minutes keep my level of attention or would I doze off after a while? Almost surprisingly: nope, sir! I’m still awake after quite a couple of times listening to “God On Acid”! Maybe that’s because every now and then there comes a song I already know (the band used all 3 songs from the “Womb Of Shit” demo 2002 and even re-recorded a song from the long sold out “Extinction” EP, namely ‘Highest Form Of Brutality’). So basically, you can also take a look at the other DESPONDENCY reviews around here for almost half of the songs (and take a look at the interview as well) but to sum it up: “God On Acid” is a strong modern Death Metal album with good songs and high musicianship. Once again one would have to mention Konni, that sick lunatic on vocals and drum machine Dirk. My faves are the title track with that mighty slow part in the middle (doom it out, baby!!!), ‘Womb Of Shit’ for not being froggy all the time and ‘Until It Bleeds’ for its cool bass parts. As long as you’re into frog noise there is no way of getting around “God On Acid”. Slam on, dudes (but keep away from France – they’re eating frogs over there)! Oh, I almost forgot: there is a limited vinyl version out on Autopsy Stench Records impressively supporting the excellent artwork by Deather! www.despondency.de

Ramon Claassen

Ramon Claassen

Related reviews / interviews:
DESPONDENCY - Extinction (Ramon Claassen)
DESPONDENCY - Womb Of Shit (F. Cthulhu E. )
DESPONDENCY - Interview (Ramon Claassen)

Leave a Reply