DETERIOROT
The Faithless (5 song rough mix)
(self-financed)
22:02min

It’s bands like DETERIOROT that still keep me motivated to support the Death Metal underground. This New Jersey bunch is luckily one of the few really cool remaining bands that didn’t join the armada of gore grind infected hyperblasting CANNIBAL CORPSE / SUFFOCATION clones. DETERIOROT is a lot closer to old acts like BOLT THROWER (in terms of the slow heaviness), IMMOLATION (for a blasphemous pure Death Metal vocal delivery), ROTTREVORE (for the raw brutality), SADISTIC INTENT (for the right feeling) and some old Swedish masters of Death (for their partly NIHILIST / early ENTOMBED infected guitar sound and riffing). This 5 song rough mix of their upcoming second full length album "The Faithless" is another proof of their uncompromising attitude and brilliance in composing killer material. While bands of the younger generation mostly seem to mix up brutality with total speed and technical skills, DETERIOROT have choosen a quite different (yet very effective) path and even prefer to slow down in order to perform their straight ahead, quite simple structured material. That doesn’t mean, that these guys are of the doomy kind, not at all – there’s a lot of pretty fast elements involved in the songs as well! It’s just that they don’t use speed just for speed’s sake. They are obviously writing their material from a different point of view, focusing on every little part of their songs equally, always trying to create those bits and pieces with the same necessary dark atmosphere rather than just blasting through them without compromise. This formular results in extremely convincing pure Death Metal of top notch quality! It even seems to me that in terms of brutality they went back quite a bit to their earlier material (7" and demo), which is completely fine with me. And considering the fact that this CD-R only features rough mixes of five of the new songs, I bet my ass that the final result will even manage to blow away their excellent debut album "In Ancient Beliefs"!

Frank Stöver

Frank Stöver

Related reviews / interviews:
DETERIOROT - The Rebirth (Frank Stöver)
DETERIOROT - In Ancient Beliefs (Spitzl)
DETERIOROT - Echoes From The Past (Anders Peter Jørgensen)
DETERIOROT - Ceremonies Of Blasphemy (Julián "Vile" Núñez)
DETERIOROT - The Faithless (Ulrich Kreienbrink)
DETERIOROT - In Ancient Beliefs (Hacker)
DETERIOROT - Interview (Frank Stöver)
DETERIOROT - Interview (Ulrich Kreienbrink)
DETERIOROT - Interview (Stefan Franke)

Leave a Reply