DEVILISH IMPRESSIONS
Diabolicanos - Act III: Armageddon
(Conquer Records)
51:10min

Where this Polish outfit called themselves Avantgarde Black Metal on their debut album they are talking about playing extreme modern Black / Death Metal now on this 2nd one. It’s not me who is labelling anything like this at all; it’s just copied from the release information which I got together with the promo. Labels are not really important, important is how the music sounds, and for DEVILISH IMPRESSIONS I can say that they developed a lot since their debut album "Plurima Mortis Imago". On the debut they took huge influences from DIMMU BORGIR and a few from their countrymen BEHEMOTH, for this release I have to change this as on their 2nd CD they took a huge dose from BEHEMOTH as well as influences from newer EMPEROR. The guitarwork in the first 40 seconds of the 2nd song ‘Rex Inferni’ reminds me a lot on EMPEROR’s guitar lines on "Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk" but besides that they mostly go for the slower BEHEMOTH type of Death Metal. And that’s where they have their best moments. The midtempo and slower parts suit them really good. Songs like the already mentioned ‘Rex Inferni’, the great opener ‘T.H.O.R.N.S.’, the catchy ‘Tales Of Babylon’s Whore’ or the great, with amazing vocals delivered, ‘I Am The Son Of God’ are examples of great songs. Still I think DEVILISH IMPRESSIONS aren’t the most original band out there, but what they do, they do with class and among all they create great songs. Many live appearances in the last year made them stronger and I can only say that these songs will kill live. I hope to see them here in Germany pretty soon. Another recommendable release for all those Death Metal lunatics which are looking out for a modern type of Death Metal. Have a look on www.conquerrec.com or www.devilish-impressions.com for ordering details. Scheduled release date is January 2008, make a note in your calendar!

Thomas Ehrmann

Thomas Ehrmann

Related reviews / interviews:
DEVILISH IMPRESSIONS - Plurima Mortis Imago (Thomas Ehrmann)

Leave a Reply