DEVILS WHOREHOUSE
Blood & Ashes
(Regain Records)
39:49min

These guys love MISFITS. You need to picture lots of posters on the walls, wolf tattoes on the forearms and children with the name Glenn to understand this type of love. If you love them too, continue to read, otherwise go to some other review and spend your time more profitably. Sweden’s DEVILS WHOREHOUSE play punky-metalish-death obsessed heavy Rock’n’Roll they call Death Rock. And theirs is a good description. The basic premise is emulation of the aforementioned MISFITS in every aspect. The vocals are complete Danzig ultraworship, both in crooning and the harsher growling (although I must confess they use a MASTODON styled singing here and there), melodies and choruses follow the same pattern as we have heard on anything the same guy produced, and the lyrical content – werevolves, death, graveyard rock kind of themes – is… you get it. Musically, you have to love punkish choruses and and Rock’n’Roll type of demon possession to enjoy this record. Apart from this, the music does offer some consolation for the readers of this website which, I suppose, are more inclined to something harder and more dark. It is well produced with the strong edge and Swedish sound that became so popular in the Death Metal world. Although this is not even near to Death Metal, it offers a welcome bite to the world of Hardrock, coating it with the modern feel of hardness and buzzing electricity we come to appreciate from the earliest moments of ENTOMBED and company. Not as good as the MISFITS, not as hard as ENTOMBED Death’n’Roll era, and yet… strangely relaxing to my ears, with the potential of producing very, at least in my mind, lifelike pictures of beer and smoke and women and brawl soaked Swedish tavern where people really enjoy themselves. If they would chose to follow their own path instead of being a cover band this guys would rock. Until then, this is a good record for partying if you drink blood, and I think Tarantino and Rodrigez would approve. www.devilswhorehouse.com, www.myspace.com/truedevils, www.regainrecords.com

Branko Matijaševic

Branko Matijaševic

Leave a Reply