ANTITHESIS
Dying For Life
(Massacre Records)
61:57min

This Ohio based five piece escape easy categorization as they play a rather complex form of Power / Thrash with a progressive edge. To give you an approximate idea, imagine an early era FORBIDDEN going progressive Metal, and I suppose you could make up what ANTITHESIS is all about. In fact, some Death , Heavy and even Doom Metal overtones could be heard throughout the album, so you understand that it is rather difficult to precisely define the music of ANTITHESIS (as it is also the case for a band like NEVERMORE). The production (handled by guitarist Sean Perry) is excellent and reminds me of the best moments of the late 80s, especially because the crunchy sound you could find here and there. Vocalist Ty Cook delivers his lyrics with emotion, with an obvious concern for the meaning of the texts, these being of the introspective kind like what the late Chuck Schuldiner was used to write. All the musicians are top notch and show stellar abilities in the mastering of their instruments. The shortest song is a little less than five minutes long, so expect multi -layered tracks the way progressive bands conceive them. But don’t get fooled by the progressive tag though, because ANTITHESIS is not only about delicacy but also sheer power and heaviness. Just listen to tracks like ‘Mad Poet’ or ‘Politicide’ and you will know what heaviness means, I can tell you. To sum it up, an not-to-be missed album by a class band. Experience it by yourselves, and you will not be disappointed, that is for sure. Highly recommended!

Edouard Vergriete

Edouard Vergriete

Leave a Reply