PENTACLE / MORTEM
Liquefied Blood Of The Saints / Five Candles Burning Red
(Iron Pegasus Records)
“…I rarely do Death Metal, so if I do Death Metal, it only has to be real kick ass bands, like PENTACLE, SADISTIC INTENT and MORTEM.” (Costa Stoios, VOICES FROM THE DARKSIDE anno 2010). Iron Pegasus is without a doubt the last cult label (with the 80s meaning of the word), and that’s not a euphemism. Among other bands, the unholy trinity of old Death Metal, namely PENTACLE, MORTEM and SADISTIC INTENT, are still part of the Iron Pegasus family, wonder why? And besides, what better place to be? I think it’s a killer idea that two very promising releases are planned by Costa, the first one that is already released and is going to be presented here, is the split 7" of PENTACLE with MORTEM. The second release is a split of PENTACLE with SADISTIC INTENT, planned to be released at some point in the near (hopefully) future. Ok, back to the 7" now, what we have here are two amazing songs from two bands that are already considered “classic” for people that are seriously into this music. The exterior of this release is the first thing that stroke me; PENTACLE’s cover (once again delivered by Manuel Tinnemans) is once again mindblowing, and in the spirit of the triptych that is already complete by two thirds. Obviously the image is strongly related to the lyrics, but that’s up to the listener to unveil. On the second cover MORTEM’s artwork is a classic woodcut drenched in purple color. But let’s go the music… what you will get are two songs, one from each band. MORTEM delivers a brand new song entitled ‘Liquefied Blood Of The Saints’, a total aggressor to say the least! Typical for MORTEM Death Metal, filled with 80s spirit, riffs that shred in the typical style of the Peruvian maniacs close to godly acts like SLAYER, early MORBID ANGEL etc. MORTEM, being silent for so long, are still extremely effective and deliver a brutal piece that real fans will love. The song makes us fans really hungry for the upcoming album… About PENTACLE, what can I say now? If you thought that you have heard enough twisted riffs by them, wait until you listen to ‘Five Candles Burning Red’. This has to be one of PENTACLE’s songs with the MOST twisted riffs, it’s simply amazing! A specific riff, would make Jon DePlachett drop his jaw, real fans will understand which one. Typical for PENTACLE’s style, the song is heavy as a destroyer, deathly riffs all over the place, and Wannes' voice teaches a lesson in violence. That’s one more piece in the puzzle of quite possibly the best Death Metal band out there. To top it all, Iron Pegasus has released this 7"in different colors as well as some amazing merchandise (for each band respectively) to accompany this release, all of which will make the fans drool. If you miss this release, then you should seriously consider yourself a wimp, period! For the rest, who haven’t forgotten the ancient feeling, well keep on remembering it, cause it still rules! www.iron-pegasus.com, www.pentacle.nl, www.facebook.com/pages/the-true-mortem-perú/151727424891464
- PENTACLE - ...Rides The Moonstorm - by Bart Gabriel
- PENTACLE - ...Rides The Moonstorm - by Manolis A.
- PENTACLE - Adv. of split EP Tracks - by Frank Stöver
- PENTACLE - Ancient Death - by Steven Willems
- PENTACLE - Ancient Death - by Frank Stöver
- PENTACLE - Archaic Undead Fury - by Frank Stöver
- PENTACLE - Five Candles Burning Red - by Stefan Franke
- SADISTIC INTENT / PENTACLE - Invocations Of The Death-Ridden - by Anders Peter Jřrgensen
- ETERNAL SOLSTICE / PENTACLE - Split - by Manolis A.
- PENTACLE - The Fifth Moon... Beyond And Back - by Frank Stöver
- PENTACLE - Under The Black Cross - by Stefan Franke
- PENTACLE - Under The Black Cross - by Manolis A.
- MORTEM - De Natura Daemonum - by Lem Lycurgus
- MORTEM - De Natura Daemonum - by Michael Oelschlegel
- MORTEM - Decomposed By Possession - by Steven Willems
- MORTEM - Deinós Nekrómantis - by Marco Stebich
- MORTEM - Demonolatry - Iter Tenebricosum... - by Thomas Meyer