CONVULSE
World Without God
(Relapse Records)
60:29min

This one is for old school Death Metal completists! Relapse Records has released a remastered version of the debut CONVULSE album "World Without God" which originally came out in 1992 on Thrash Records. Besides the said album this re-release also got 4 tracks from "World Without God" demo’90 and 2 live cuts – VENOM cover ‘Countess Bathory’ and their own ‘Incantation Of Restoration’. After checking this "updated" CONVULSE album I immediately downloaded the original release on Thrash Records to see the difference and now I can surely say that if you like your Death Metal muddy, ugly and raw, with lots of low end, not unlike the early AUTOPSY and DISMEMBER, then you’d much rather get the first release instead of this cleaned up Relapse version. As mentioned above, CONVULSE deal us an uncompromising dose of early Death Metal, varying in tempo between grinding outbursts and slow, punishing drags through scum filled doomy passages, with low, grunting vocals, just the way Death Metal from pits of Hell has to sound!! Imagine a stinking mix of NIHILIST, CORPSE and TREBLINKA with sulphuric "Abominations Of Desolation" era MORBID ANGEL moments and there you have it. It’s cool that Relapse are bringing out old albums like that, though I wouldn’t call it a lost gem and I prefer the filthy sound of original album much more, but give it a chance and you might (re)discover a great band from the Finnish 90s underground. www.myspace.com/convulsedeathmetal, www.relapse.com

Mindaugas “Plix” Lapinskas

Mindaugas "Plix" Lapinskas

Related reviews / interviews:
CONVULSE - Cycle Of Revenge (Carsten Lomme)
CONVULSE - Evil Prevails (Stefan Franke)
CONVULSE - Inner Evil (Hacker)
CONVULSE - Interview (Steven Willems)

Leave a Reply